- Avoid clutter. It presents too many choices for a person with dementia.
- Order, routine and simplicity are helpful.
- Make sure there is adequate lighting. The field of vision for people with dementia often narrows as dementia progresses. Eliminate glare.
- If mirrors are distressing for the person, remove them or cover them up.
- In the bathroom, get rid of unnecessary items (multiple bottles of shampoo) in order to avoid confusion.
- Eliminate background noise wherever possible.
- Use contrasting colors--they will be easier for the person with dementia to see. Color can also be used to hide things. If you want a person to ignore a door, paint the door frame, baseboard and adjoining wall the same color.